Sunday, January 22, 2012

Whole Wheat Pancakes and Buttermilk Syrup.

This is an adaptation from a recipe my aunt gave my mom years ago. The pancakes are really light and the buttermilk syrup is good on anything. Sometimes I find myself wishing I could just sit down with the pot and a spoon for breakfast.


Whole Wheat Pancakes
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
1 Tbs baking powder
3 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups buttermilk (you can use regular milk)
2 eggs
3 Tbs butter, melted and cooled

Blend all ingredients together with a whisk until just incorporated. Heat a griddle on medium-low heat or an electric griddle to 350 degrees. I use an ice cream scoop to portion out the batter so the pancakes are fairly even.

I let the batter sit while I make the syrup and this just give it a quick stir before cooking. I find a slightly better texture when I do this.


Buttermilk Syrup
2 c sugar
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tbs corn syrup (see note below)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda

In a large dutch oven (note: it is important to use a very large pot to avoid spilling over!) melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the sugar, buttermilk and corn syrup. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring to avoid burning. Take off the heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla. It will foam up, which is why it is important to use a large dutch oven or pot to ensure it doesn't boil over and get your stove all sticky! Pour over the whole wheat pancakes and try not to just eat it with a spoon.

Note on corn syrup: Do not leave the corn syrup out or try to substitute it! It is vital to keeping all of the ingredients bound together. I didn't have corn syrup, so I substituted a tablespoon of brown sugar and about 2/3 of a teaspoon of water (A 4 to 1 ratio of brown sugar to water is a substitute for corn syrup) However, the syrup totally separated and left a gloopy mess sitting in an oily pool. Needless to say, we didn't eat that batch.





1 comment:

Stephen and Debbie said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!!!!