Saturday, January 21, 2012

Popovers

Popovers are one of those breakfast items I distinctly remember from my childhood. We didn't have them often because they take a little while to bake, but it was always a treat when my mom made them. This morning, I really wanted them, so I made them. Growing up, my mom used old ceramic mugs. If you have one of those fancy popover pans, by all means, use it. But I find a muffin tin works just fine.
Popovers
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix all ingredients together. Heavily grease each well of your pan (I used cooking spray to do this). Divide batter evenly between each well. If you are using a muffin tin, they will be about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for 15-20 minutes more or until the popovers are browned.

I find them perfect adorned with just a little butter, but they're also delicious with jam or preserves. My husband's aunt makes a wonderful pomegranate jelly that is great. No matter what you put on them, they're best right out of the oven so the butter melts into all the airy pockets. In a word: scrumptrulescent.

No comments: